Saturday, November 6, 2010

Roasted beetroot soup-adapted from Russian Borscht soup


It's been a while since I updated my blog last time. I've been busy preparing my portfolio for design graduate school these days. I did quite a few drawings, some fine art photography projects, and am still waiting for my rice paper and ink to arrive so I can write some Chinese calligraphy. Drawing is something that made me feel grudged to pick up a pencil at first, but once absorbed, I just can't put it down until I finish. Totally love it!



This is what Northern New York state was like a couple of weeks ago.The biker definitely knows how to enjoy the fleeting fall, but now, trees are bald, colorful leaves are gone, and the outdoor colors are just boring. Well, that's why I made this soup to cheer me up! 

Since last time I tried butternut squash soup, I have fell in love with the concept of a bowl of warm soup in a cold day's night, especially it has snowed twice here in the past week!! Jeez!I love colors, intense colors, colors with big contrast. This roasted beetroot soup adapted from the Russian Borscht soup satisfies both my tummy and eyes.I hope it warms you up too!





Here is the recipe to make this Roast Beetroot Soup. I added toasted pine nuts to top to give it a nutty and aromatic kick and light coconut milk to make it taste smooth and rich.

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • ½  onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 4 medium beets, peeled and chopped
  • 1 carrot, finely chopped
  • 2 cups chicken/vegetable stock
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk
  • A handful of pine nuts. 
Directions
  1. Toast pine nuts in the oven for 5 minutes or until gold, set aside.
  2. Set oven at 375F. Roast chopped beets for 40 minutes.
  3. Warm olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onions and garlic; cook until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in carrot and beets to cook for 1 minute.
  4. Stir in stock, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, and simmer until the carrots and beets are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.
  5. In batches, add soup to a food processor, and pulse until liquefied. Return soup to saucepan, and gently heat through. Add coconut milk. Ladle into bowls, and garnish with a swirl of coconut milk, pine nuts and fresh thyme.

10 comments:

Ryan Edwards said...

Holy crap, I think these are your best yet!!!

Katie Yoon said...

Beautiful photos! and the color of soup is fantastic^^

tobias cooks! said...

I do lots of beet root soups. I just love the color.

Leah said...

Wow, the colors in this post are absolutely stupendous! Such gorgeous photos. The color of the soup against those cute bowls is superb!

Quay Po Cooks said...

OMG, how did I miss your blog? Love, LOVE all the pictures! Truly EYE CANDIES!

Yue Jiang said...

Hi Katie, i was surprised how bright the soup looked when it's done. I thought it would be pinkish red, but turned out red like blood:)

Yue Jiang said...

tobias cooks!: I liked the soup more than i expected. When i was peeling off the skin, it smelled kind of muddy and like grass, but after cooked, it's pleasantly sweet, I love it too!

Yue Jiang said...

Hi Leah,

Thank you for your compliment! I like the cute bowls too.

Yue Jiang said...

Quay Po Cooks,

Nice to find your blog as well. i think i am gonna get some inspiration from yours. need to cook more chinese food.

Fran said...

The photos are beautiful. I was drawn into the Cauliflower soup post which looks delicious, but these photos are breathtaking! Awersome work.