Friday, August 27, 2010

Coconut curry beef stew


After dinner, I got on my bike to have a “digestion” ride.    The temperature after sunset dropped to 63, and it’s still  August! Although I put on a long-sleeve jacket, it’s still a little chilly outdoors, but once I started riding, it felt simply pleasant. The breeze blew against my cheeks, my legs, and through my loosely tied hair to make it messier. I feel such freedom on bicycle wheels as if they could take me to anywhere. Behind our neighborhood is a hill, on top of which perches an elementary school. I rode up the winding hill to the school, and rode 8-shapes on its empty and big parking lot. Beside is a playground built at the edge of the hill, with slides, swings and a climber installed. I climbed to the top of the climber, overlooking our neighborhood from a different angle. The shopping center and fast food restaurants were lighted to make this place a bit lively, and a sea of woods dimmed at dusk in the distance. At my back, rosy evening glows were so dramatically beautiful, but giving away to the descending night mist.

I felt so calm and satisfied at this moment at this place. It's like a spiritual domain to get away from the daily routine, no worry about future, no worry about anyone, just enjoying the beautiful scene and thinking of nothing. This is real quality time!

I wanna share this coconut curry beef stew today. Coming from a city known for its spicy food, I am no exception! I just LOVE everything spicy. I always almost wanna attend one of those hot wing eating contests. Spiciness is no problem, but I am afraid I can't finish the quantity within time limit. After referring to some recipes from Thai and Indian cuisine, I fused them into this one dish. It is so good with steamed rice.


Ingredients:

2 lb beef stew
5 tbsp hot curry powder
½ can coconut milk
1 tbsp cumin powder
Salt to taste
2 medium carrots
2 medium potatoes
1 medium onion
A handful of fresh basil

Steps:
1. Cut beef stew into cubes. Chop onion into small pieces (to thicken the sauce). Peel carrots and potatos and cut into cubes.

2. Remove the blood in the beef by boiling it in water for 2 minutes. Drain the beef.

3. Heat 3 tbsp of cooking oil on medium high, brown the onion and then add beef to stir fry for 2 minutes.

4. Add curry powder, cumin powder, salt, coconut milk and one cup of water. When boiling, cover the lid and turn down to low heat to stew for 2 hour. When liquid is drying out, add more water. Or transfer the food into a slow cooker and set on high for 4 hours.

5. 3o minutes before done, add carrots and potatos.

6. Add basil before turning off the stove.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your attitude, it has given me inspiration for a very tough work day ahead....and I look forward to trying this recipe.

Koek! said...

Oh my, that picture... My mouth is watering! Love the turquoise bowl as well.
Robyn

Debs @ DKC said...

Yum, sounds & looks delicious.

dasunrisin said...

Mmm I don't think I could wait the two hours while it stews :)

Lisa said...

This looks delicious. I love coconut curry. I've bookmarked this recipe.

KennQ29 said...

Nice recipe, this is really yummy. There is nothing to argue about. Keep posting stuff like this i really like it. the photos are really mouth watering. thank you for sharing this recipe..